Wednesday, January 21, 2009

RAIU Results

The results of my thyroid scan were several nodules found to be hot and one found to be cold. "Hot" means it behaved like active thyroid tissue but took up more iodine than the surrounding tissues and is thus "overactive". Cold means it took up little or no iodine and is not behaving like thyroid tissue. The cold one has a 10% - 15% chance of being "a problem" which mean 85% to 90% chance it is nothing to worry about and just something to watch. I'm being referred to an endocrinologist and will see him on Tuesday. I'll know more after that visit.

Based on my research it is likely that they will opt to do a FNA (Fine Needle Aspiration) biopsy of at least the cold nodule if not the hot ones as well. For now I just feel better knowing a little more and also being back on my medications. The brain fog has lifted slightly, but the swelling and fatigue are still around. It's only been two days but I'm sure it will continue to improve.

I recently found out that there are at least two other people in my family on my Mom's side with thyroid issues and one of them had actual surgery to remove part of the gland due to a nodule. It eases my mind knowing that there is a source (genetic) for this problem and that I am not alone in dealing with it.

1 comment:

o.t said...

if nodule is cystic it can be treated with PEI injection;
The biopsy is recommended for solid nodules larger then 1 cm
The risk factors include: internal vascularity, calcification , ill-definned nodule